Assam-Meghalaya row: Different resolution timelines emerge after Aug-23 talks

Guwahati, Aug 23: Parallel talks with cab operator unions and protesting drivers were held in Assam and Meghalaya on Sunday, with both state governments assuring an early resolution to the ongoing tensions triggered by the August-19 violence in Shillong. The two sides, however, projected different timelines for any resolution to the ongoing standoff. Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar said a joint meeting involving transport authorities and stakeholders from both states would be convened by September 10 to address the concerns of transport operators, while Assam Border Protection and Development Minister Atul Bora said that normalcy was expected to return within “one or two days”. “We have come to the conclusion that within September 10, I will be calling a meeting at my level with the Commissioner of Transport, Assam and Meghalaya, with the presence of all the members of associations from here and Assam,” Dhar said, while addressing the press after a meeting with taxi and cab operators. He said the meeting was attended by transport department officials, senior Home Department officers, the Deputy Commissioners and Superintendents of Police of East Khasi Hills and Ri-Bhoi districts, along with representatives of various taxi associations in Meghalaya. Dhar said the associations had raised several long-pending grievances, particularly difficulties faced by Meghalaya drivers while operating in Assam. “The associations have flagged some important issues that they have been facing for the last few months and years, mainly problems after they enter the state of Assam. We listened to them and their problems were genuine,” he said. He added that the Meghalaya government would work towards addressing those concerns. “We will try to solve all the problems that our drivers faced during their visit to Guwahati especially,” Dhar said. Earlier in the day, Atul Bora chaired a meeting with representatives of Assam drivers' associations and cab unions amid growing concerns over the safety of passengers and commercial vehicles travelling to Meghalaya. Assam Border Development Minister Atul Bora said he spoke to Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar on Sunday morning after being informed about the blockade of Assam commercial vehicles at Umiam. Bora said Dhar explained that they could not meet the protesters on Saturday as it was already late, unlike Bora’s visit to the protesters at Jorabat. “I believe that a situation like this will not happen again, and Meghalaya has also assured us of that. It may take one or two days for normalcy to be completely restored," Bora said. Meanwhile, the Meghalaya Linguistic Minority Development Forum (MLMDF) condemned the recent incidents of vandalism, street intimidation and the alleged desecration of national icons in Shillong, and called for legal and administrative measures to prevent a recurrence. In a statement, the forum said peaceful and disciplined protests are a democratic right, but alleged that permitted rallies had repeatedly resulted in fear and intimidation among the public. The organisation said the unrest had affected innocent residents, workers, tourists and commuters, including women and children, and expressed concern that incidents involving alleged desecration of national icons could damage Meghalaya's image beyond the state. Tensions between Assam and Meghalaya escalated after violence broke out during a Khasi Students' Union (KSU) rally in Shillong on August 19, when several Assam-registered vehicles were allegedly attacked and vandalised. The incidents sparked protests in Assam, including demonstrations by drivers' organisations, while transport operators in Meghalaya also raised concerns, prompting both state governments to initiate talks aimed at restoring normalcy and preventing further escalation.

